Discuss anything regarding MineRealm Classic here.
By ATC
mr. roach wrote:
legokrin wrote:If it brings back old Vortex members, then yeah. 'nuff said.
It most certainly would.
Back to my original question: Why would it bring back people?
By TechnoProdigy
ATC wrote:
mr. roach wrote:
legokrin wrote:If it brings back old Vortex members, then yeah. 'nuff said.
It most certainly would.
Back to my original question: Why would it bring back people?
I already answered that for you.
TechnoProdigy wrote:Because all the good land is taken by people who log on every 30 days and do nothing else, so the server is boring as watching paint dry.

Change always brings in more people, and our player-base is basically zero right now.
By Grelman
Fresh restarts aren't all they're cracked up to be. If you take the time to consider how much time some of us have spent gathering resources on this map its something we'll never want to do again.

Right now all I want to do is build big and build quickly cause I enjoy that aspect of Minecraft very much at this point in the game. Unless you really have a dedicated base of maybe 20ish players returning to the freshly started map establishing things like roads/farms/trade centers for resources/tools people are likely to walk away because it feels like retrodding territory that's already been paved before. The idea of even attempting to recoup even a fraction of the resources/builds I've built up over the past 5 years on this server makes me nauseous.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone but I feel like as it is the only thing bringing back people to the current server is the rich history of the map. Why else would the server be seeing joins at any other time besides the beginning of each month? There's still a handful of people joining the server and I suppose, like me, they just can't let go of what they've managed to establish over the years. Even though the numbers are few, its still the world that we've left our biggest Minecraft mark in, and that's just so hard to let go. For many it feels like everything's been done on MR already and while its true that I like many others have made all the possible farms and collected a good number of each item in the game. That's why my only desire is to build things I haven't before, as much as I care to, for as long as the map/server stays live, why not? I say forget about v5 despite what it promises to be and appreciate what we have in front of us, an opportunity to create greater and greater things.

It might feel like singleplayer at times but when the map does go up for download there's just all that much left for revisiting people to appreciate. Anything you do ends up being a part of history in the weirdest way. I think there's stock in what other people are saying, there's probably very few servers still around from 6 years ago when this game first started becoming popular even if our map is a mix of 5 and 2 year old builds/terrain.

At this stage its important to ask yourself what Minecraft means to you and wonder if its worth it to keep playing ignoring any possibility of a server relaunch. If it isn't then it's time to move on for sure whether that's to another server or game. If it is then there'll still be that handful of us still around. Its not much but the echoes of the past are still alive in the empty and old buildings of all the structures on the server and remind us of old memories, and the possibility to make some new ones.
By BSGSamuel
Although Minecraft is not really considered to be a competitive game I think the main advantage of a restart would be the leveling of the playing field. When a new player joins the server today they see all the resources gathered by players around them and there is no way they will ever be able to catch up to those players or even get close. This not the most motivating environment to play in.

Part of what drives people to play, or me at least, is the race to stay ahead of the competition. In the current state of the map, all the long time players have already 'won' the game and there is nothing left to achieve. A restart would reset the competition and give people motivation to play again.
By ATC
Just for the avoidance of doubt, I ask the question here because I want to know your answer (and not to ask on someone's behalf). I try to understand why people want/do not want a new map and/or system.

What I understood so far:
*competition to start from zero... However, I assume that after years of playing Minecraft only very people are left who would start again with such a competition (if it exists)... it's just brutally time consuming and considering the time people spent here I doubt that they would do it again. For what reason would they? I think that most players do not want to give up what they have because they feel that their plots have a value to them (which I can't follow). Someone, who transferred all of her plots a long time ago, said: "It was hard to give up all I had. But after a while I realized that I just wanted my stuff/buildings/achievements to be protected. Not sure why, perhaps I am just proud of it. But to own it (and to compete with others) was just not working over the long run; I couldn’t continue to waste my time." It’s perhaps what you see in games like Farmville (or however they are called), if you have to compete, the game will be dead at the end.
*Fresh map for new building... c'mon, look at the map: Perhaps 50% is used. Max.
*Change in game play: Actually, nobody requested to change the existing technology dramatically. Ok, mob limits could be higher, but what else?

I have the general impression that people actually don't know why they play here. They don't want to lose their stuff, but the original idea to build things is gone. Why? Is Minecraft going to be dead? What is missing?

I play here because of some few people, who help or are fun. And to see the fantastic buildings of others. And to build stuff, even if it will never be outstanding.

Lots of questions. Would be happy about answers, PM would be great.
By eah
ATC wrote:Is Minecraft going to be dead?
Probably.

Nothing lasts forever. Even sandbox video games have finite enjoy time.

I'm not sure there is a niche for the massive playing-with-strangers vanilla minecraft server anymore even with a heavy advertising campaign.
By Grelman
BSGSamuel wrote:Although Minecraft is not really considered to be a competitive game I think the main advantage of a restart would be the leveling of the playing field. When a new player joins the server today they see all the resources gathered by players around them and there is no way they will ever be able to catch up to those players or even get close. This not the most motivating environment to play in.

Part of what drives people to play, or me at least, is the race to stay ahead of the competition. In the current state of the map, all the long time players have already 'won' the game and there is nothing left to achieve. A restart would reset the competition and give people motivation to play again.
Fair enough, but I don't think there's a huge pool of new people wanting to start a new survival multiplayer world whether its established already or not. As eah points out the wildly popular interest in Minecraft from years ago has diminished quite a bit. Lots of children still play the game but they're really only interested in minigames servers. There's very few MC players with the maturity and patience to play survival in the long term. I feel like most of those people have either moved on or are settled in their own worlds like we are in ours.

At the same time, I guess there are just as few regulars actually interested in coming back to the server as is with no changes forthcoming, but I'll still enjoy building here when I'm bored enough anyway.

I dont know how other long time players feel about starting again from scratch but I've done it enough times to know that I'd prefer to keep my current stock of resources and builds and be able to add to it. That's far more attractive to me than spending countless hours trying to get it back only to do what I can do here which is build. I can sympathize now with red, knowing he'll never try to do anywhere else what he did here.

If there were to be a new server whether with enormous gameplay changes or no, I can't imagine myself getting too heavily into it unless the server population was an impressive 20+ at any given time. Even then I wouldnt be trying to collect resources like I have spent so long doing here, it'd just drive me insane.
By ZachHunt
If it gets people to play, then it's a good thing.

I don't really miss Minecraft for Minecraft, I miss talking to people that I could see everyday in a server that was filled to the brim with all different walks of life.

That soon fell from 100 people every day to 50 to 15 and now virtually nobody. I always see 1 or 2 people on, but nothing more than that at one time.

Personally, I know little to none of the new people, but I'd love to sit and have a good time if some vets came back (or meet new faces too), and I think v5 could possibly help. I love the community we once had, but it's fallen out hard the past year or so, ya know?

It's really sad to think about sometimes.
By guige1
After reading multiple of the V5 related posts I have not seen intelli comment on what his plans are for the future of the server. Intelli has made this server amazing but I can't help but feel his enthusiasm isn't there. I hope that his absence is due to being busy but after this much time I don't know. I very much hope that v5 is released. I hope to see you all on soon.
guige1
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]