Talk about absolutely anything here!
By krinbros
MindlessInsanity wrote:-snip-
Being nihilistic doesn't make you goth but ok. It's actually pretty comforting when you realize that everything that happens on Earth is insignificant in the big picture.

But you don't see me wearing guy liner and Slipknot shirts.
By Piewarrior27
The school system in america seems like it sucks a heap. Find some good friends, do your best to learn (outside of school as well if you have to), and just remember that there's some other ticked off white boy out there thinking the same as you :^)
The swearing in class and stuff is just normal for high school kids though (well, in straya at least), not a sentence goes by without an f thrown in, and if teachers punished people for it, the detention would look like a whole school assembly.
It was also pretty neat that you spellchecked this, spelling is always good :^) (you did make a mistake in the title though)

By the way dlgn, it seemed less like he was condemning gay marriage, whites, and girls specifically and more like he was condemning the school for jumping on the hype wagon when they might well have been homophobic before, and condemning the type of person they are. 'White girl' is just a name for that type (they don't have to be white or girls even, but the original and the majority of them are), just like there are goth and nerds and stuff. And I agree, they are pretty annoying. Not sure though, as Jeff didn't mention it in his reply to you.
By eah
The reason I said what I said is because it basically sums up the longer post I would have written (mostly tempted by you having not recognized symbols on a math exam which I attribute to your fault not the teachers (unless of course the rest of the students felt the same which in which case shame on the teacher)). In the public school system, you're all on equal footing no matter if you're rich or poor. There are dumb kids and there are smart kids. (The really smart/rich kids are at a private school, most likely) It's a huge mixing pot. It's like that because, in america, we believe in equality. Every child gets an education paid by the tax payers. Further, it's efficient to have 30 or so students in one class taught by one teacher. You're stuck with these people whether you like it or not and the only way to have a successful high school career and a successful life is if you can ignore those people and focus on the learning side of school.

On pep rallies, try to have someone pick you up at that time of the day. I didn't like them much either.

On the hand-holding, it could be for higher test scores, but it could also be to reduce drop out rates. They prefer to have you stay in school and graduate with little knowledge and no preparation for higher levels of education than to have you leave with nothing at all. If that is how the tests are, the ACT/SAT will be a shock. I suggest you gather with some people who share your views and do something about it. Figure out who decided to enact the policies. Bring it to the state capital or whatever because, from where I'm standing, it sounds ridiculous.

For any school, you should buy and read the book even if the instructor doesn't say so. Read ahead so that you know what the hell the teacher is talking about. The only way you'll be able to do this is to learn that it is important. It is important -> you will read it. As an example, math is applied in numerous ways to change our lives on every level. That sounds pretty damn important and they're not trying to brain wash you with it.
By eah
This isn't necessarily directed at jeff (because he may already understand it), but I thought it was relevant and important.

Being taught by a teacher is 50% of getting an education. Lectures are mostly improvised and you don't have physical copies of a lecture to look back on -- only memories or spotty notes of it. Textbooks are the other 50%. They're prepared, formal, and you can refer back to them with precision. But books are sometimes hard to read, boring, or don't respond when you ask a question -- that's where the teacher comes in. Speaking as a student myself, both resources are important and I notice my peers often forget this.
By TechnoProdigy
Y'all need to chillax and just live life without being so filled with rage and being so serious all the time.

Take up hiking, or something, like dayum.
By Legit_Neymar
TechnoProdigy wrote:Y'all need to chillax and just live life without being so filled with rage and being so serious all the time.

Take up hiking, or something, like dayum.
Preach
By MindlessInsanity
eah wrote:This isn't necessarily directed at jeff (because he may already understand it), but I thought it was relevant and important.

Being taught by a teacher is 50% of getting an education. Lectures are mostly improvised and you don't have physical copies of a lecture to look back on -- only memories or spotty notes of it. Textbooks are the other 50%. They're prepared, formal, and you can refer back to them with precision. But books are sometimes hard to read, boring, or don't respond when you ask a question -- that's where the teacher comes in. Speaking as a student myself, both resources are important and I notice my peers often forget this.
People say its 50% because that's what their told. Teachers (as far as I've experianced, an dozens of others I meet weather it be life or Reddit) Don't do jack diddly. And I'm not one to just believe anything I'm told, but assumptions can sometimes be a good thing.
By Eetrab
MindlessInsanity wrote:
eah wrote:This isn't necessarily directed at jeff (because he may already understand it), but I thought it was relevant and important.

People say its 50% because that's what their told. Teachers (as far as I've experianced, an dozens of others I meet weather it be life or Reddit) Don't do jack diddly. And I'm not one to just believe anything I'm told, but assumptions can sometimes be a good thing.
I'm agreeing with eah here that the teacher is 50%. However the difference between having a good or bad teacher can be staggering, especially when it comes to getting you interested in the subject. That's another part of it too, if you're interested in something, you'll naturally learn more about it or actively go and learn things about it. It sounds like you've had a very bad teacher streak.

Now for a few quick tips. It's spelled 'experienced' not 'experianced'. Also 'weather' is that strange stuff that the atmosphere does to make clouds and change the temperature (not to be confused with climate), 'whether' is a conjunction expressing, in this case, choice between alternatives.
By MindlessInsanity
Eetrab wrote:
MindlessInsanity wrote:

I'm agreeing with eah here that the teacher is 50%. However the difference between having a good or bad teacher can be staggering, especially when it comes to getting you interested in the subject. That's another part of it too, if you're interested in something, you'll naturally learn more about it or actively go and learn things about it. It sounds like you've had a very bad teacher streak.

Now for a few quick tips. It's spelled 'experienced' not 'experianced'. Also 'weather' is that strange stuff that the atmosphere does to make clouds and change the temperature (not to be confused with climate), 'whether' is a conjunction expressing, in this case, choice between alternatives.
Oh you corrected my reckless and fast-paced typing? You must be an omnipresent knowledge indulged man.
By Grelman
Eetrab wrote: It's spelled 'experienced' not 'experianced'. Also 'weather' is that strange stuff that the atmosphere does to make clouds and change the temperature (not to be confused with climate), 'whether' is a conjunction expressing, in this case, choice between alternatives.
I see Jeff's not exaggerating when he says his teachers are terrible.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]