Post any ideas / suggestions for the game servers here.

Do you support this idea?

Yes
61%
No
39%
So in the last topic, there was a huge mix of people who desired to have past names shown and those who wanted to have a clean record. The votes were 12-11.
I don't mind people wanting to keep their past hidden, but now I'm having difficulty trying to figure out who's who in my buddy list (even asking around sometimes doesn't help).

Perhaps, we could have the displaying of past names be toggleable?

With the command "/profilenames"*, a player could make their past names displayed in the /profile if they wanted to.
This would allow players who wish to change their name and still let others know what name they once went by to communicate that information. It would also allow those wishing for a fresh start to have what they wish.

If they have previous names they would like to display, they would type /profilenames

>/profilenames
>Your previous names will now be displayed in your profile

Ex.
>/profile cubeguy314

cubeguy314's Profile
Online: Yes
Guild: Vortex
Achievements: Veteran, Bland as cobble, etc.
Formerly known as: Previous name 1, previous name 2, etc.

and if they either A) have previous names that they wouldn't want to display, or B) don't have former names at all...

>/profilenames
>Your previous names will no longer be shown in your profile.

Ex.
> /profile cubeguy314
cubeguy314's Profile
Online: Yes
Guild: Vortex
Achievements: Veteran, Bland as cobble, etc.
(No displayed names) <--This line would not show on the profile

*the lack of proper spacing between "profile" and "names" is to avoid conflicting commands if someone with the username "names" shows up
What should the default value be?

If the default is show names, then players risk revealing their past names before toggling it off.

If the default is don't show names, then showing past names in profile becomes less useful due to the number of players who have not toggled it on or who don't know about the command.

I should mention that there are ways of getting the past names from a player's current name and those who have changed their name to hide their reputation aren't completely protected. There are people (like me) who know the tricks and may know who you really are. Though, I won't bother with such things because I don't care. If people want a fresh start, they always could have accomplished that with a new mojang account. Nothing has changed.

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to get the current name from a player's past name, but this doesn't seem to be the priority.
If a player changes his/her name, then it's safe to assume that he/she is probably somewhat active and will be hopping online in one or two days.
If we leave the default setting as having past names unlisted, then we would just have to wait a bit for them to toggle on their past names.
If the default setting is to have past names listed, then the player would most likely be online soon after the name change to toggle that listing off.
Bu1ld0g wrote:Voted no, only this time its because I would much rather any spare time intelli has to work on the server be put towards getting us to 1.8.
Yeah, Intelli should focus on things like 1.8. But let's be honest, in my opinion, coding this into MineRealm would take like 5 minutes and help A LOT. Lol. I voted yes.
For those who don't support PvP in the overworld, at least they have the option to not participate. For those who don't support being seen on the map, at least they have the option to hide their whereabouts. Logic dictates that this suggestion should pass, as those who don't support their previous names being viewed would at least have the option to keep them private.

To me, this suggestion is a perfect compromise. If people want to make it apparent to everybody what their old name was, they should be able to do so. If people do not, then they do not have to. And until somebody explains exactly how to find a player's previous name, I'm inclined to believe that this suggestion is still relevant and useful to fulfilling the wishes of the entire player-base.
Bu1ld0g wrote:
The-Jack-DeCk wrote:useful to fulfilling the wishes of half the player-base.
FTFY

So logic dictates that this feature should be implemented so people who do not wish their names to be revealed can opt out?
Not entirely so. The main objective is to provide a way for players to show others their previous names while taking into consideration those who do not wish to do so.

This especially addresses your concern from the previous suggestion
Bu1ld0g wrote:Voted No as I see it as people may want a fresh start without any added harassment due to past behavior etc. AKA invasion of privacy.
As for this time...
Bu1ld0g wrote:Voted no, only this time its because I would much rather any spare time intelli has to work on the server be put towards getting us to 1.8.
Couldn't this suggestion just be implemented AFTER the full 1.8 update then? :)

As for coding, I'm not sure if this server does it, but I've seen a well known vanilla server (Hermitcraft) announce a player's former username. (Player formerly known as Past_Name has joined the game) Their vanilla server keeps track of previous names. Would it really be that hard to use that feature as a base to record names?
I can give links to a spigot forum with info on an API that recovers previous UUID's But I'm not sure if
a, it's allowed as it's an external link
b, possibly a 1.8 only API therefore requiring the server to be fully 1.8 before being able to use.

Here's a few examples
[{"name":"Rokkrwolf312"},{"name":"Rokkrwolf","changedToAt":1423064798000}]
[{"name":"daimond_boss"},{"name":"diamond_boss","changedToAt":1424277896000}]
[{"name":"eah2119"},{"name":"eah","changedToAt":1423067067000}]
Obviously this info is in JSON format and for server usage.

The one drawback is I'm not 100% sure how long Mojang keep previous usernames in the database.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]