Post any ideas / suggestions for the game servers here.

Split the tax?

Yes
33%
No
67%
By OrigamiElephant
I think something needs to be done to address this system in it's current state. Right now one of two things happens in a trade.

1. The seller prices up their items to avoid getting a chunk of their money eaten by the server (where do those credits go anyway?)

2. The seller pays their own tax, and is salty about it.

I suggest that we reform the system to cut the 10% tax right down the middle and levy it on both sides. In life a buyer pays sales tax in the store, and in life a worker pays income tax to the state.

If tax has to be paid by anyone, let it just be both parties.
By Benstir
I voted no because the way that I'm looking at this is like this, you can just simply calculate half the tax with the seller/buyer.

I think this would be a better alternative. Instead of tax just taking money out of credit transfers Instead a player or players have to pay a fee on top of the tax.
lets use 10,000cr again
you give me 10k and in order to complete the transaction you have to transfer the 10k plus pay 1000cr or split the fee in this case. so we both pay 500cr each
By OrigamiElephant
That still requires a bit of social contracting. As it is right now, deals are almost always built around who's paying the tax.

Changing to structure of it, takes the players out of the equation. Both sides know they are paying a tax, prices would end up being more predictable and stable. There would also be less "Does that price include tax banter in auction threads, or in the trade room"

This is a quality of life suggestion.
By Daegon_Phyn
Just want to point out that in the real world a buyer does not pay sales tax everywhere in every situation, while a seller always pays income tax no matter where you are.
By kerovon
You are right, we should try to reform the tax system to be more true to real life. However, we might want to go even further than it is now. To that end, I would propose a few additional changes.

First, having the taxes go nowhere makes no sense. We should have the taxes go back to the government (i.e. staff), so we can then use it to perform public works.

Second, the current method of distributing credits is entirely implausible. Why would you get credits for just mining? Who gives it to you? Why is it entirely through microtransactions? To fix these problems, instead of giving credits through this, we should have the government (staff) print credits, and then distribute them to the players through a variety of contracts/purchases. Possibly give all staff members 20k credits per day, that we then allow to trickle down to the players. This will also allow staff to make major purchases for the good of the server easier (such as buying Roo's spawn realm). This helps make the system more realistic as well, and realism is the most important tenant of minecraft. (Also, we should make all blocks be effected by gravity).

Finally, rather than have credits taxed at various transactions, we should make it the sellers responsibility to pay taxes on a semiregular basis. If they forget, or underpay when they are audited, they should be fined, and possibly jailed (banned). All players should also have to pay their share of taxes on a yearly basis. Don't have the credits to pay? We have a jail for that.

EDIT: Oh, and property taxes too. You don't get to just own massive tracts of land and not pay taxes on it. You should have to pay a monthly tax on your land. Don't have enough? I guess the government gets to take and sell your land to pay your debt.

More seriously, this just adds needless complications. Enough players have trouble calculating 10%. Can you imagine the nightmare of making them figure out their respective 5% shares?
By protex08
kerovon wrote:Possibly give all staff members 20k credits per day

Funny how that post was liked by mostly staff, as well as suggested by a staff member.
By Dentez
In addition to what Kerovon has said, I believe we also need to implement a "tax day" on MineRealm.
As in real life, we can also have a tax bracket where the poor-middle class pay high taxes on their yearly income while the wealthy pay virtually nothing.

This would mean that every year we will be obligated to fill out a MR-2 form (W2) and list all our income and purchased objects. If you spent 500k on diamond ore that year, GG! Doing the listed above will ensure we all enjoy MineRealm in an equal, and fair manor.
By river33
Wow, well we might as well just declare Martial Law and give Intelli all the power to do whatever he wants. Have 100k credits? Not anymore! (Intelli says) ;)
By OrigamiElephant
kerovon wrote: -snip
I wasn't intending that anybody calculate anything. I was proposing that whatever coding was done to assess the 10% tax to the seller, could be re-coded to just split the tax between both players when credits are given.

Better yet, why don't we just do away with all tax in general.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]